Monday, August 16, 2010

Workouts for Last Week - Lyndsay

Hello blog-ettes! :)  Here I am again, a day late on updating the blog, whoops!  Ok, so let's talk about my workouts this past week:
  • Tuesday: volleyball
  • Thursday: hot yoga
  • Friday: tennis
  • Saturday: kayaking/volleyball
Typical Tuesday, volleyball night with the group.  We met up at 7:00 and played until 10:00 - so a good three solid hours.  Now, what does that translate into calorie burning?  Somewhere around 200 calories an hour!  Awesome!!  

Thursday, again, typical Thursday.  Every Thursday night I take a hot yoga class.  I take both Birkram and Vinyasa Yoga.  Thursday nights are reserved for Vinyasa.  For those of you that don't know much about yoga, here is a little info.  First, hot yoga is different because, well, it's done in a heated room that's temperature sits somewhere between 103-108 degrees with about 30-40% humidity.  Ok, I know it sounds awful, but it is absolutely amazing!  For me, there is nothing better than getting a great sweat during a workout and this certainly makes you sweat.  Now, for the types of yoga.  There are so many varieties of yoga, but Bikram and Vinyasa and the two that I practice.  Both are done in the heat, but Bikram is more regimented in its practice.  In each class you do 26 postures and two breathing exercises - one at the beginning and the other at the end.  Vinyasa is a bit more creative and up to the person teaching the class.  It is often called a flow class and consists of connecting poses rather than just static poses (as in Bikram).  I love it!  So, if there is a hot yoga class available out there to you, go out and try it and let me know what you think!  Personally, it is my favorite workout I do each week.  

Alright, Friday night is tennis night.  My brother and his girlfriend were in town this past weekend so we decided to play tennis after dinner Friday night.  Great cardio workout for sure!  

Finally, Saturday morning we decided to go kayaking.  Umm, I'm still a little sore in my shoulders.  It was definitely all about upper body and abs.  And last but definitely not least, we played volleyball again on Saturday.  We played as part of the PCOM volleyball tournament - and won!  Woo hoo!  But we definitely put up a fight (physically and emotionally).  Our first match was the emotionally hard part as they were freaking cheaters!!  My biggest issue with that team was how they kept moving people around during the game. Ok, so the rules are, you rotate through the court.  You can't change places with someone.  Well, two points from winning Joe serves to a girl that had no skill.  Naturally, she missed the ball, making it one more point to win.  So, some guy (don't even know his name), told the girl to switch with him.  Ok, so uncool!  You know I called him out on it, but he was like, "we're not playing by the rules."  A-hole.  Well, I guess he didn't know that Joe could control where his serve went, so you guessed it, he sent it right to that girl again, now on the other side of the court.  She missed it.  We won that match.  Lesson?  Stop cheating!!  The next match went well, so we won there too.  In the final match it was us (team Dirty Sanchez) - three girls and three guys, versus five guys and one girl.  We were a little nervous, especially when they took an early lead on us 8-1.  Yikes!  Luckily, Joe and Travis (my brother) brought their A-game and both had good runs of like seven and ten points.  We ended up winning the tournament!  It only seems right that I now say: "We are the champions...of the world!!!"

Till next time,
Lyndz

No comments:

Post a Comment